We’ve collaborated with Ginger & Co to help explain the health benefits of adding Turmeric and Ginger into both you and your fur-baby’s diets!
Ginger & Co are a boutique maker of premium, unique superfood blends that are as delicious as they are amazing for health. The business is founded by a brother-sister team Anna and Visayon, both passionate “foodies” and health junkie. Ginger & Co specialise in making premium superfood latte powder and chai. They make all their products in Melbourne, Australia, using natural, organic and locally grown ingredients, where possible.
Superfoods are nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being. The use of superfood ingredients such as turmeric and ginger can have amazing health benefits due to the natural anti-inflammatories and antioxidants they contain. For more specific information… keep reading!
Turmeric is not only delicious but offers wonderful health benefits too. Turmeric’s benefits are owed to its well-known active curcumin (which is also responsible for turmeric’s bright yellow colour). Curcumin is a powerful anti-inflammatory and has shown strong potential in the treatment of conditions caused by inflammations in our body (and our pets!). These include rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases and asthma, among others.
Ginger is a true wonder root when it comes to health benefits. Ginger contains unique antioxidants gingerols (and related compounds) that are responsible for many of ginger’s benefits: from combating cold and flu, preventing nausea and committing and relieving period pain to improving heart health.
Benefits of Turmeric for People
- Relieves Arthritis: One of the most significant health benefits of curcumin is the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis - an autoimmune disorder whereby the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s own tissues. Clinical trials have shown oral intake of curcumin is able to significantly reduce the symptoms and increase the strength of patients with rheumatoid arthritis patients (and even more effective when used together with complementary synthetic drugs).
- Prevents Bowel Diseases: Several studies suggest that curcumin can reduce the occurrence of inflammatory bowel diseases as well as bowel cancer. This is due to the ability of curcumin to inhibit inflammatory chemicals that cause these diseases.
- Relieves Asthma: In some studies, curcumin has been shown to reduce the symptoms of asthma such airway hyper-responsiveness and inflammation and lung inflammation.
For more information on turmeric health benefits, click on the link on the right!
Ginger & Co currently offers two delicious turmeric blends: Golden Latte and Golden Immunity Latte– the latter also includes immune-fortifying reishi mushroom and ginseng. Both latte blends are in powder form and are easy to brew at home by simply adding hot water and milk (and maybe a teaspoon or two of honey!).
Benefits of Turmeric for Dogs
- Anti-inflammatory: Inflammation can be a silent killer for dogs, with diseases such as cancer, arthritis, dental disease etc. all being caused by inflammation.
- Treatment for Gastrointestinal Disorders: The anti-inflammatory properties in Turmeric, have been found to effectively treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) as well as other gastrointestinal disorder in humans and dogs.
- Helps Prevent and Treat Cancer: Chronic inflammation is one of the causes of cancer. A UK study found that curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) has been found to help stop pre-cancerous changed from becoming cancerous. In addition, The American Cancer society has stated that Curcumin ‘interferes with cancer development, growth and spread, and has the ability to reduce tumour size and kill cancer’– pretty amazing!
For more information - click on the link on the right
Bell & Bone Treats which include turmeric are below:
Benefits of Ginger for People
- Cold & Flu Relief: Ginger is one of the best natural remedies for cold and flu. It is anti-microbial and has been shown to inhibit growth of a wide range of bacteria and viruses (including E. coli). In addition, ginger is diaphoretic (it induces sweating) which makes it excellent for progressing fever, leading to faster recovery.
- Anti-Inflammatory & Pain Relief: Ginger is an anti-inflammatory and pain reliever and has been shown to be as effective as synthetic anti-inflammatory drugs Ibuprofen and mefenamic acid in relieving painful periods (dysmenorrhea). Ginger has also been shown to relieve pain in people suffering from arthritis as well as general muscular discomfort.
- Lowers Blood Cholesterol & Improves Cardiovascular Health: Clinical studies suggest ginger could be effective in treating heart and cardiovascular diseases. A clinical trial found that consumption of ginger powder was able to significantly reduce blood lipid (fats) levels. Extracts of ginger have also been suggested as an effective and safer alternative to Aspirin in treating coronary artery disease.
- Several other studies also suggest additional health benefits of ginger, including reduction of allergenic reactions in asthma patients and anti-diabetic effects, among others.
For more information on ginger health benefits, head to:
Ginger & Co Treats which include ginger are below:
Benefits of Ginger for Dogs
- Prevention of Gastric Dilation and Volvulus (GVD): Ginger is a well-known medical antiemetic. It has shown to help support digestion, normalise gastric function, prevents nausea and vomiting and as such help prevent GVD (ie. bloating!) GVD can be a life threating condition in larger breeds of dogs, and occurs when built up food and gas in the stomach isn’t being expelled. Therefore, Ginger can be used as a preventative ingredient in your dog’s diet, as it has been shown to help stimulate stomach movements and accelerate the emptying of the stomach.
- Arthritis: Similarly to humans, dogs can suffer from inflamed joins which can be very painful for our fur-baby’s. As ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory, it can act help reduce the inflammation and offer relief to dogs suffering from sore joints.
- Nausea: As previously mentioned, ginger can be a great remedy when your dog has an upset stomach! If your dog suffers from carsickness, has had a negative reaction to a food, or if undergoing cancer treatment, incorporating ginger into their diet can be a very effective anti-nausea.
Bell & Bone Treats which include ginger are below:
We hope you’ve learnt some new tips and tricks to help you and your pup be as healthy as possible!
Stay safe, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions!